When I was a kid I always did the library's summer reading program. For every book we read, we got a ticket to put in for a prize drawing, and if we did really well, we got an invitation to a pizza party. It was great! I never won a prize, but the possibility was very exciting.
One of my favorite sets of books that I read was Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles, a middle grade comedy adventure series. The series includes four books which can be read in whatever order. The second book, Searching for Dragons, is my favorite!
Mendenbar has just become king of the zany fairy tale kingdom of the Enchanted Forest when he starts finding big, burned areas in his woods. Unacceptable! Since it seems like dragons are involved, he takes his highly overpowered magic sword and goes to confront the King of Dragons about it; but when he reaches the dragon mountains, the King of Dragons isn't there. Mendenbar ends up on a quest to find the Dragon King--a quest where absolutely everything that can go wrong does go wrong!
The series can still make me laugh hysterically. Where else can you find a recipe for melting evil wizards or see a magic sword fix the plumbing? Highly recommended.
Ages: 9 and up.
Christian? No.
What's in the series: Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, Talking to Dragons, and a short story in Wrede's story collection Book of Enchantments.
Comments
Post a Comment