Skip to main content

George's Book Birthday, and a Character Interview!

George, the Shield, and the Veiled Lady released today in ebook and paperback! I hope everyone will enjoy it! I've always liked hanging out with George--he's straightforward and curious and of course he would keep a promise to a goat, why wouldn't he?

You can find George's story on Amazon at this link: George, the Shield, and the Veiled Lady

In honor of the book's release, I thought we'd invite the three main characters, George, Una, and Arthur, to answer some questions!

________________

The interviewer, a tall man wearing a close helm, sits in a tall wooden chair, and waves our three heroes toward a bench in front of him. The three of them--a yellow-haired young man, looking rather singed; a small, graceful lady with sharp gray eyes; and a tall young man in half armor with a brown beard--all try to sit down, then realize there isn't enough room. Before Arthur can point this out to the interviewer, yellow-haired George plops down on the floor. He grins at Una, who smiles back.

Interviewer: Welcome, friends! We're looking forward to hearing all about your adventures. Could you start by introducing yourselves?

*George, Una, and Arthur all look at each other*

Arthur: George, why don't you start?

George: All right. I'm George.

*everyone waits for a minute*

Interviewer: Is there anything you can tell us about who you are?

George *cheerfully* : I live on a farm, and I have nine sisters, and two cows, and twenty-seven goats, and thirty hens. And maybe some chicks if Mother's let the eggs hatch. Did you want all their names?

Interviewer: No, that's okay! Ahaha! That's a large family you have there. What about you, Princess Una?

Una *curtsies* : I am Una, the princess of the kingdom of Perion. After I came into conflict with the witch Duessa, my kingdom was attacked by a dragon. My father's knights and Perion's allies were unable to kill it, so I journeyed into Faerieland seeking help.

Interviewer: And what kind of person are you, Una?

Una *eyes him* : A truthful one.

Interviewer: Oh, that's right! You have that truth-seeing gift. Are you using it on me right now? Although I'm sure I have no reason to be worried, ahaha!

Una *stares at him even more sharply* : As long as you tell the truth yourself.

Interviewer: Let's move on! What about you, Arthur?

Arthur *with a polite smile*: I am a squire, trained by my foster father, Sir Ector. I left home partly in order to do some great deeds and become worthy of knighthood, and partly in order to... find a certain person, who may be able to answer some questions for me. During my search for that person, I found my way to the court of Gloriana, the Faerie Queen, where I met George and Una.

Interviewer: And who are you looking for?

Arthur: ... A wizard.

Interviewer: A wizard, really? *coughs nervously* Well, there are no wizards around here, but I'm sure you'll be able to find him once you go... somewhere else. Ahaha. Tell me, why were you trained by a foster father? Who's your real father?

Arthur: Sir Ector was an excellent father to me.

Interviewer: You're not answering my question. *leans forward, looking overly curious*

Arthur *frowning and visibly uncomfortable*

George: He doesn't want to answer that. Arthur, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Arthur: I know. It's all right, George.

George *to Interviewer* : Please ask a different question.

Interviewer: Well, if I must. What was the most frightening part of your adventures?

George: The dungeon.

Arthur: The dungeon, really? What about the dragon?

George: That was scary too. But the dungeon was worse.

Arthur: I guess I didn't need to be so worried about the dragon.

Una *still staring intently at the interviewer*

Interviewer *watching her nervously* : Princess Una, I hear that your own story, The Princess Who Knew the Truth, will be releasing soon. I'm sure we're all looking forward to learning all about how you cleverly handled your adventures! With your famous intelligence! You're almost as clever as you are beautiful, ahaha...

Una: ... Is that what you really think?

George: Is he lying? But you are clever and beautiful, though. Isn't she, Arthur?

Arthur *sputters awkwardly*

Interviewer *talking very fast* : Well, for reasons of time, we'll have to end here!

Una: Is that really why you want to stop? I thought you said you had so many questions about our adventures? What is it that you really want to know?

George *draws his sword, which immediately begins to shine with a strange light* : Who is he, Una?

Una: I think... he's that evil Archimago.

Interviewer: What? No! Of course I'm not that powerful and renowned enchanter, Archimago! But I really must leave for another appointment. *starts sidling toward the door*

Una: Lie!

*George and Arthur jump to their feet*

*Archimago exits in a blinding rush, pursued by men with swords*

Una: Do excuse us. *curtsies, then hurries out after them*

_________________________________

Well, that's not quite the interview I expected. Why do all the interviews I host on the blog go so strangely? But anyway, I hope that you'll give George, the Shield, and the Veiled Lady a try!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Penprints Flash Fiction Dash: Painted with Light

[I wrote this story based on a prompt for the Penprints Flash Fiction Dash.  Yay flash fiction!  If you check out the Penprints site in early June, you will be able to see the stories from everyone who participated!  The Penprints site is <https://rosalievalentine.wordpress.com/> ] Painted with Light Duomik slipped through the liner’s banquet hall, a poncho wrapped around him, bare feet sure.   Despite the blasting warmth of the liner’s heating system, the floor carried a trace of cold. “That’s one of them—the divers,” a teenage girl hissed to her mother, abandoning her plate of fish.   “Ask him!” “Excuse me,” the older woman called sharply. Duomik turned back, squinting against fluorescent lights and tourists’ stares.   Skinny, pale, he was anything but impressive. “Does it work?   The lights?   Does it bring them out?” she asked. “It says in the brochure, na ?” Duomik wrinkled his nose.   The stinks ...

TL;DR - Highlights from the Magic Mirrors Blog Tour

Looking for portal fantasy?   Dystopia and dragons?   Sister stories?   Rich historical fantasy?   Orphans and hangings?   You can find them all in the stories of the Magic Mirrors co-release! If you’re like me, you found the extent of our recently-completed Magic Mirrors blog tour a bit daunting.   So many interesting posts on so many blogs—how could you possibly keep up?   I know there are some posts that I missed… but I haven’t the slightest idea which ones. So I’ve assembled a few highlights from the tour for quick access and easy reading.   (To find links for the entire tour, go here .) Free bits of story Blood in the Snow (Sarah Pennington) – first chapter here For Such a Time as This (Heather L. L. FitzGerald) – whole story free if you sign up for her newsletter here Overpowered (Kathryn McConaughy) – first chapter here , first forty pages here The Seven Drawers (Kendra E. Ardnek) – first chapter here I’...

The Seven Drawers - Kendra E. Ardnek (Review)

Stuck in a dead-end job.   Trapped in a mirror.   Fleeing the huntsman.   Confronting a dragon far underground.   Infiltrating a tower in the shape of a cyborg.   When Gwen receives a cabinet full of mysterious objects shortly after her father’s death, she finds herself travelling to seven alternate worlds and facing a dangerous challenge in each one.   With the help of seven versions of her boyfriend, can she foil her evil stepmother, save her heart, and reclaim her kingdoms? This retelling really is Snow White as you’ve never read it before—like the Chronicles of Narnia crossed with Inception .   Every realm has a different twist on the Snow White tale, often catching hold of a specific detail from the original story and turning it into its own conflict.   It’s a quest story.   It’s a romance.   And it does very well at being both those things. High Points In all this madness, Gwen manages to seem like a real person. ...